We caught up with KwakuBs, a Ghanaian rapper, singer-songwriter and colorist who is part of the collective- La Même Gang.
1. What’s your philosophy in life that influences your creative work?
I try my best to move out of love and be sincere in any situation I find myself in. Things go out of hand when we move out of hate or tell lies. Everything is easier when we can communicate truths regardless of how heavy they are.
2. I remember you once mentioned ‘Careless Whispers’ almost didn’t make it to the Erotomania EP. Do tell us how it did and your reaction from the feedback it got.
Lol man! Those were some hard times. So what had happened was the engineer who’s studio I was recording at decided to throw a random fit that day. He wasn’t trying to have me record the song so gave me about 15 minutes to do two 16 bar verses. I did all that in 1 take or 2 at most. I wasn’t really happy with how some of the words came out seeing how it was rushed but people loved it and that’s the purpose of what we do.
3. How would you describe your genre of music?
My genre of music could be generally described as fusion. Fusion is the future of music, it’s been the future of music. I’m here for combining different types of genres to birth beautiful masterpieces.
4. Do tell us what we should expect from your upcoming mixtape, ALT?
Expect a fusion roller coaster on ALT!!
5. Would you like to change anything about our current Music Space?
Nope, the space I’m in musically is perfect for me. A couple of years back, there were genres and styles I was afraid to try, not anymore.
6. Can you describe to us your fashion sense?
My fashion sense places priority on comfort first, I love colors too. I usually end up using them as a reflection of my mood whenever I dress up.
7. What do you feel is the most pertinent issue in our society and What in your opinion is a musician’s role for being a force for societal change?
A pertinent issue is the younger generation not believing in themselves. They have ideas shutdown, doors closed in their faces and nobody giving them a chance. There are thousands of great creatives whose talents are being suppressed because of fear. I just want to tell these kids that they are the shit. The ideas they have, the things they plan to do will definitely work out! Never lose vim and let your placebo guide you.
8. What makes you stand out as an artist?
I think probably my ability to switch between genres with ease.
9. Who are you inspired by?
I’m inspired by life, love, human beings especially. Not even anyone to be specific just humans. Humans are so complex and beautiful. Everybody on the surface of this planet is carrying a billion stories. Do you know how much content that is? I draw inspiration for songs sometimes from conversations I’ve had with random people. I love engaging with people.
10. What’s next for KwakuBs?
Up next for KwakuBs is more of KwakuBs. I’m trying to be all over so you guys can see more of me and have more content. My art is going to take me all over the world and my body is ready for it.