On 24th July 2023, Kizz Daniel revealed on his Twitter page that a new album was on the way.
In the announcement video, Kizz Daniel teased the album, tracklist, a probable track on it, and the release date. In this article, we present 5 things to know about the impending body of work.
1. The album titled “Maverick” would be his fourth studio album and his fifth project in general. It would also be his first album in three years and first project in two years. He usually had a two-year spacing between his albums, with his first three projects following that order: “New Era” (the debut) in 2016, then the sophomore “No Bad Songz” two years later in 2018, and the third album following that same order in 2020. Although his last project, the “Barbaras” EP, messed up the cycle by dropping a year after the last, this project is back on track with a two-year spacing.
2. The tracklist of the album was revealed at the end of the video, showing a length of 20 tracks. This might seem like a little too much for a standard album, which on average contains 14-16 tracks. However, this is a normal routine for Kizz Daniel, as his debut and sophomore albums both contained 20 tracks, and his least number of tracks on an album to date is 17 tracks.
3. The album contains six pre-releases, including Kizz Daniel’s hits from 2021 (“Flex”), 2022 (“Buga” and “Cough”), and 2023 (“Shu-Peru”, “Rich Till I Die“, and “Cough remix”). This translates to 14 fresh hits on the album.
4. The features on the album were not revealed in the announcement video, but two artistes have already been featured on pre-released singles, so that counts. Also, the song used in the announcement had two vocals: one from an undisclosed male artiste (you can guess who you think it is in the comments), who I’m guessing is Darey, and the other from Kizz himself. The two featured artistes mentioned earlier are Tekno on “Buga” and Becky G on “Cough remix.”
5. The album’s scheduled release date is just 2 days away, this Friday, July 28th. Kizz Daniel literally dropped the announcement on us five days to the album’s release.
With every music fan still anticipating the project from Vado, he gave an insight into a future project. The beginning of the announcement video features a hand flipping through Kizz Daniel’s vinyl version albums from his debut, working its way until it reached “Maverick” and picked it out. Behind “Maverick,” another vinyl showed, revealing an album title partially, but the closest to it is “Colour of Happiness,” probably hinting at his next project.
Another funny personal theory is that the album title was inspired by the 2022 film, “Top Gun: Maverick.” The movie barely put is about flying planes, but how does this relate to Kizz Daniel and his new album, you may ask? We have known Kizz for some catchphrases over the years, such as “Vado” and now “Flyboy.” Putting “Flyboy” together with “Top Gun: Maverick,” I believe we see a correlation. Or not… Anyways, there goes my conspiracy theory.