The 6th All Africa Music Awards (AFRIMA), was a four-day event held at Eko Hotel and Suites, Victoria Island, Lagos.
2Baba won the award for Best African Artiste in African contemporary and a Special Recognition Award which he won with Awilo Logomba. Burna Boy, whose African Giant album was recently nominated for Grammy carted home the award for Best Male Artiste (West-Africa) and Artiste of the Year award.
South African rapper, Nasty C also won the awards of Best African Collaboration and Best African Lyricist. Nadia Nakai from South Africa was also among the artistes that won two awards in the categories of Best Artiste in African Hip-Hop and Best Female Artist in Southern Africa.
17-year-old Nikita Hering from Kenya stunned the audience after carting away the awards for Best Female Artiste in East Africa and Revelation of the African Continent award. Amiinux from Morroco also bagged two awards in the categories of Best Male Artiste in Northern Africa and Best African Dance or Choreography.
Also in the category of artistes that went home with two awards was the Kenyan group, Sauti Sol, who won the award for Album of the Year and Best African Duo, group or band. Other artistes that bagged awards were: Ayodeji Balogun, popularly known as Wizkid, whose song, Fever, won the Song of the Year award and Tiwa Savage who won Best Female Artiste in West Africa.
Desmond Sodamola, a popular Nigerian DJ with stage name DJ Spinal, won the Best African DJ while Kelvin Peter (Kel P) won the Best Producer of the Year. Kanve Adams from Liberia won the Songwriter of the Year award while Joseph Akinfenwa, popularly known as Joeboy won the award for Best Artiste in African Pop.
The event, which was hosted by South-African Host, Pearl Thusi and Comedian Eddie Kadi, saw the audience dancing to African music. Some of the artistes that performed were: Teni, Joeboy, Skibbi, Sauti Sol, Nikita Kering and Awilo Logomba.
Check below for a full list of this year’s winners.
2019 AFRIMA Winners:
- Best Video Director Of The Year – Director Kenny, Tanzania
- Best Artist, Duo or Group in African Rock – Rash, Kenya
- Best Female Artiste Southern Africa – Nadia Nakai, South Africa
- Revelation of the African Continent – Nikita Kering, Kenya
- Best African DJ – DJ SPINALL, Nigeria
- Best Male Artiste in Central Africa – Salatiel, Cameroon
- Best Female Artist in Northern Africa – Nada Azhari, Morocco
- Best Female Artist in Central Africa – Shan’L, Gabon
- Best Male Artiste in Northern Africa – Amiinux, Morocco
- Best Male Artiste in Eastern Africa – Khaligraph Jones, Kenya
- Artist of the Year in Africa – Burna Boy, Nigeria
- Best Artist, Duo or Group in African Contemporary – 2face Idibia, Nigeria
- Best Male Artist in Southern Africa – Sjava, South Africa
- African Fans’ Favourite – Mohamed Ramadan, Egypt
- Album of the Year in Africa – Afrikan Sauce by Sauti Sol, Kenya
- Best African Act in the Diaspora – Manno Beats, ft. Afrotronix & Vox Sambou, Chad
- Best Male Artiste in Western Africa – Burna Boy, Nigeria
- Best Female Artist in Western Africa – Tiwa Savage, Nigeria
- Best Female Artist in Eastern Africa – Nikita Kering, Kenya
- Best Artist, Duo or Group in African Pop – Joeboy, Nigeria
- Best African Collaboration – Nasty C ft. Rowlene
- Best African Artist, Duo or Group in African Electro – Manno Beats ft. Afrotronix & Vox Sambou
- Best African Duo, Group or Band – Sauti Sol, Kenya
- Best African Dance or Choreography – Aminux, Morocco
- Best Artist, Duo or Group in African Hip Hop – Nadia Nakai, South Africa
- Best African Rapper/Lyricist – Nasty C, South Africa
- Best Artist, Duo in Group in African Jazz – Owen & Tiana, Gabon
- Best Artist, Duo or Group in African R&B & Soul – Hillzy, Zimbabwe
- Best Artist, Duo or Group in African Reggae, Ragga or Dancehall – Stonebwoy, Ghana
- Best Artist, Duo or Group in African Traditional – Abrham Belanyeh, Ethiopia
- Best Female Artist, Duo or Group in African Inspirational Music – Kanvee Adams, Liberia
- Best Male Artist, Duo or Group in African Inspirational Music – Onesimus, Malawi
- Best African Video – Director Kenny, Tanzania
- Most Promising Artiste in Africa – Bráulio Alexandre, Angola
- Producer of the Year in Africa – Kel P, Nigeria
- Song of the Year in Africa – Fever by Wizkid, Nigeria
- Songwriter of the Year in Africa – Kanvee Adams, Liberia